Silca Super Secret Chain Lube (360mL)
SILCA Super Secret Chain Lube brings all of the super speed and silent running of a hot-melt wax-dipped chain to a drip applied wax (all of the benefits, none of the hassle!). Secret Chain lube also utilizes the world's fastest, most lubricious additive, nano-scale Tungsten Di-Sulfide. NanoPlatelet WS2 has less than 1/3 the dynamic coefficient of friction of PTFE and 1/4 that of Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2)
SILCA Super Secret Chain lube started out as a project to develop the fastest Hot-Melt wax lubricant available more than a year ago. Josh has been recommending Hot Melt Wax and helping Pro cyclists and triathletes wax chains for years and wanted to bring his lubricant formula to our customers, the challenge was how to consistently melt, dip and agitate the chain across different crockpot designs and temperatures. The project took a fascinating turn from the world of IndyCar when josh was introduced to a group that had developed a technology to put micro-scale wax powders into a solution that was quick drying and forms a coating that is indiscernible from hot melt dipping. The combination of air-drying liquid wax and Tungsten Disulfide would quickly prove to beat all currently available hot melt waxes in friction testing while being much faster and easier to apply.
Best of all perhaps is that this formula would prove to be very environmentally friendly, utilizing 4 different types of wax, nano platelets of WS2 (Tungsten Disulfide), and mild alcohol to act as a carrier. This same alcohol is used in the SILCA Gear Wipes, making them a perfect product to clean and remove Secret Chain Lube.
16 oz. jar with 12 oz. lube (leaving room for your chain) for dipping the chain
The chain should be VERY clean and dry before applying (CyclingTips has an Awesome Chain Cleaning Guide HERE)
Apply according to video and let dry for AT LEAST 30 Minutes! We recommend using AFTER your ride so it's ready for next time!
FIRST: CLEAN your Chain
Method 1: On-bike cleaning
1. Use a degreaser and brush and begin working the degreaser into the chain links
Here is a link to the degreaser we recommend. https://amzn.to/3eu84E0
2. We recommend 6-8 revolutions of the chain, scrubbing all sides of the chain with the brush to work the degreaser into the links and rollers
3. Hose the chain directly just in front of the rear derailleur pulley. DO NOT DIRECT PRESSURE onto cassette, hub/axle or BB areas
4. With clean brush and strong dish soap/water mixture (we like ~1 tablespoon Dawn in ~2 cups water) work through the chain again, scrubbing all sides and trying to drive out any remaining dirt as well as any trapped solvent
5. Direct spray rinse the chain again
6. Dry chain with towel/paper towels and allow to air dry in sun for at least 30 minutes OR (preferred) Direct Blow with high-pressure air to drive out remaining liquids and particulates
APPLYING THE LUBE
1. Be sure to have chainline relatively straight (53/15 or so)
2. Shake bottle and open tip halfway
3. Begin applying drip lube to top of rollers while pedaling backward. Be sure to apply at least 1 drop per roller and no more than 2 drops per roller while continuing to backpedal.
4. Use fingers on top-bottom of chain to work the lube into rollers while backpedaling at least 3-4 revolutions.
5. Pedal forward shifting all the way to top of the cassette, pedal for at least 3-4 revolutions. The extreme chain angle opens gaps between plates to allow the lube to better work into the chain. Continue pedaling, shifting through all gears on the rear cassette at least once.
6. Stop pedaling and allow Secret Chain Lube to dry for 30-40 minutes.
7. SILCA Gear Wipes may be used to remove any excess lube from chainrings if you desire a cleaner look.